Priority: - Control
Tags: Agricultural | Terrestrial
Identification and Reproduction
- This plant is a root-creeping herbaceous perennial.
- It has purple or white flowers with spiny leaf edge, dark-green leaves, and spineless stalk.
- They can grow up to 0.3 to 2m.
- Canadian Thistle spread quite quickly through horizontal roots and it can produce about 5000 seeds per plant.
- Seeds can disperse through pets, wild animals, clothing, vehicles, and wind.
- They can root deeply up to 18 feet, from there lateral roots will extend and produce more plants.
Habitat & Ecology
- Mainly targets disturbed areas and can be found on forests, farmland, riparian, and roadsides.
- Outcompetes native forage plants and can potentially reduce agricultural production.
- It is best to contact your local pesticide applicator to ensure proper suppression, as this plant can be difficult to control, and management practice varies from site to site.
- Prevention is key for this plant.
Here is a video for Identifying Canada Thistle:
Download the Invasive Species Council of BC’s Canada Thistle here
Credit for photo